Congratulations on being accepted to Michigan State University! As you transition to life at MSU, we want to help you choose the on-campus housing and dining options best for you and your lifestyle.
We want to acknowledge this isn’t what any of us expected for you to experience in your senior year. Please know that Live On is here to help prepare you for the fall semester and to answer questions. Be sure to follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @MSULiveOn for answers to those questions and so much more.
You may be seeing a lot of information for housing sign-up for returning students right now. This information is not the same as the housing sign-up information you will receive. Although you will participate in the returning student sign-up next year, for now you can just focus on new student sign-up.
On-Campus Housing Requirement
First year and second year students (including transfer students, regardless of the number of transfer credits granted) must live in on-campus housing for the first four semesters they are enrolled. Failure to adhere to the on-campus housing requirement may result in termination of enrollment. Learn more about the two-year live-on reinstatement at MSUToday. We will post updates to our two-year live-on requirement page.
Dates & Deadlines
March & April:
- Enter your housing preferences by setting up your My Housing account at liveon.msu.edu
- Take a virtual tour of MSU’s neighborhoods at liveon.msu.edu/neighborhoods. Please note, space is limited in each neighborhood for incoming students. It is best to have a few choices when preparing to pick a space.
- To select your room, we ask that you complete your Housing Contract by May 1, 2021. If you do not complete your Housing Contract by May 31, we will do our best to offer you a sign-up time for self-selection. If you have not signed before selection begins, the Housing Assignments Office will assign you a space and notify you before arrival in the fall.
- If you are under 18, your parent/guardian must also sign the contract.
- Log in to My Housing to sign your Housing Contract.
- If you don’t already have a roommate in mind, it’s OK! A roommate matching app is available that gives you the ability to choose a roommate(s) based on lifestyle and housing preferences It is important to know that space for choosing suitemates is very limited and should not be counted on.
- In early June, you will receive an email from Live On with your designated time to select your room and dining plan. Time slots are randomly assigned across all new students.
- Spaces for new students will be limited in certain neighborhoods across campus, we recommend exploring all neighborhoods and having a few back-up choices. Please note, the ability to choose suitemates will be very limited.
- New students enrolled in living-learning communities (LLCs) will sign up first, followed by all other new students.
- If you did not select a room during your time-slot, your assignment will be posted in your My Housing account.
- Roommate information and their contact info, if provided, will be posted in your My Housing account.
- As you prepare to make the move to Michigan State, be sure to check your MSU email account and your mailbox for how move-in will work.
- Be sure to follow @MSULiveOn on Instagram, Twitter and Faceboom for updates throughout the summer!
What can you do in the meantime?
Check your Email
Make sure to check your MSU email for housing and dining information. Live On will send updates throughout the summer to help you prepare to make the move to campus.
Sign your Housing Contract
Your housing contract will be available in your My Housing account in March. To sign your contract, log in to your My Housing account. In order to select your room, you should complete your Housing Contract by May 1. Room selection will begin in June.
If you're under 18, your parent/guardian must also sign the contract. You will have to provide their email address for them to sign.
Take a virtual tour of the different neighborhoods on campus at MSU. A large portion of the incoming class will live in East Neighborhood. East Neighborhood offers suite- and quad-style rooms and is home to the Spartan Compass first-year experience program.
Also, take a look at everything our Culinary Services team has to offer, including our unlimited dining plan options, at https://eatatstate.msu.edu/.
Review our policies by reading the On-Campus Housing Handbook: terms and conditions guide, found at https://liveon.msu.edu/Documents.
Connect with us Virtually
You also can check out the virtual tours and resource fairs for admitted students on the MSU Admissions website.
Watch our How-to Videos!