This year, move-in is Aug. 22-24. You will select your specific move-in time in My Housing. It is important that you arrive to campus during your assigned move-in day and time to ensure a smooth move-in process. Because of the volume of traffic on campus during move-in and amount of people in the halls, we request that students only bring two helpers to assist with their move (and leave the family pet at home). Our teams have been working hard this summer to prepare for your arrival in the fall and are excited to welcome you to your new home!
Move-in for fall 2023 is Aug. 22-24. Move-in is spread out over several days to keep the process running smoothly and create a more enjoyable experience for Spartans and their families. Please adhere to your selected day and time slot.
- Incoming international students will move in between Friday, August 18, and Sunday, August 20
- New International Student Orientation programming begins on Monday, August 21
- Incoming students will move in between Tuesday, August 22, and Wednesday, August 23
- New Student Orientation programming begins on the evening of Wednesday, August 23
- Returning students will move in between Wednesday, August 23, and Thursday, August 24
- University apartment move-in begins on August 1, 2023.
If you have been approved for an early arrival through an academic program, campus department or other designation, you can now submit your early arrival in your My Housing account. Please note, if your affiliated MSU Department is not paying for your early arrival, your student account will be charged the daily rate.
If you do not have a programmatic early arrival, you will be unable to move in before your designated day.
Did you know you can send some of your items to your residence hall before you arrive? If you plan to ship items, they can arrive to the halls beginning Monday, August 14. Any item received prior to August 14 will be returned to sender. Please note, we discourage sending large items and valuables.
Join the Live On team for our move-in webinar on August 8 at 8 p.m. Eastern Time! In this webinar, we will cover all that you need to know about moving to campus! Register Here.
Move-in day can be stressful, but our team is here to make it as smooth as possible for
you and your families!
1. ARRIVING TO CAMPUS
- We ask that you only bring one vehicle to campus and remember less is more when packing.
- If possible, pick up your MSU ID prior to checking in. More info about ID pick-up below.
- As you arrive to campus, follow the MSU app instructions and directional signs leading you to your hall and an unloading zone.This may be different than what your GPS says.
- At your hall, you will be directed to an unloading space. The driver should stay with the vehicle as you head to check-in.
2. CHECKING IN TO YOUR HALL
- Each neighborhood has different check-in locations
- You will receive your room key, check-in bag with helpful info and item for the day, including a meal voucher for two move-in helpers.
3. UNLOADING YOUR BELONGINGS
- As you check in, your move-in helpers can begin unloading the vehicle.
- Move-in carts will be available to help you bring your items to your room.
- The driver will need to move the vehicle to the long-term neighborhood parking lot once it is unloaded.
- Once at your room, place your things in your room and return the move-in carts. Then you can unpack and set up your space!
MSU ID CARD PICKUP
Incoming students for fall 2023 who have uploaded an approved photo can pick up their ID card at the STEM building, located at 642 Red Cedar Rd. All other ID card pickup is handled by the ID Office in the International Center. Starting Aug. 21, you can visit the STEM building and ID Office from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and the ID Office 8 a.m.-4:45p.m. on Friday. Visit idoffice.msu.edu for details.