EXPRESS CHECK OUT
On March 23, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer issued a Stay Home, Stay Safe Executive Order. Under Michigan's order, travel between residences is allowed. With this information, we have extended our move-out time frame and are asking students to select a designated move out time and utilize express check-out to allow for proper social distancing. We also ask that students limit the number of people who help them move, and that they reschedule their move in anyone in their group becomes ill. Student's received an email Monday later afternoon where they can select a time. Students who need to stay on campus are still welcome to do so until May 1.
Express checkout is available to all students. Pick up the Express Checkout envelope from your primary service center or the lobby of your hall. Signage will be posted directing you to the correct location. You will be asked to fill out the envelope, place any keys or access cards (but not your MSU ID) that you have into the envelope, and then place it into the outgoing U.S. mail slot or designated box in your hall or apartment service center.
Before you check out, remember to:
- Set up mail forwarding in your My Housing account prior to check out.
- Apartment residents must update their forwarding mail in My Housing and with USPS.
- Do a final walk-through of your room. Check drawers, closets, and bathrooms to ensure you don’t forget anything. If you live in a community bathroom hall, please check the bathroom lockers. Also check the bike room, if applicable.
- Leave unwanted carpet and unwanted futons in your room. Also, leave rentals from College Products, if applicable, in your room.
- Pick up any remaining packages at the service desk and check your mailbox. We will be unable to forward packages to your new address.
- Return any Live On rental items (brooms, vacuums, etc.) to the service center.
REMOTE CHECK OUT
Remote Check-Out Instructions
To help those students who only need to return their keys and access cards to complete check-out, we are providing a remote option to safely complete this process. Please complete the following steps:
- Ensure the package is received by April 12, 2020 to receive the room and board credit.
- Please complete the appropriate form and print to include with your keys and access card.
- Put the form and all of your keys and access cards (not your MSU ID) into a padded envelope addressed to your Neighborhood Administrative Coordinator (addresses are on the form).
- Make sure you’ve updated your Forwarding Address in your My Housing account at liveon.msu.edu.
Parking around the residence halls is free for students who are moving out. Once you are ready to load your vehicle please move your car from a parking lot to the unloading zones in front of the residence halls.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
Please note it is important residents provide a forwarding mailing address before leaving campus. Visit your My Housing account to update your mailing address for summer.
You do not need to re-loft your bed, but all bed parts/pieces must be within your room to avoid charges. Current single rooms should have one set of furniture and current double rooms should have two sets of furniture.
Don’t forget to:
- Check for items in drawers, the medicine cabinet and the bike room.
- Clean the community bathroom locker (if applicable).
- Check to be sure you have all personal belongings
- Close your window, turn off the lights and lock your door.
- Remove all trash to the appropriate area.
- Check out at designated location.
- Return any dishware from the dining halls (no questions asked).
Update your forwarding mailing address in your My Housing account. Only first-class mail will be forwarded. We are unable to ship to international addresses.
RETURN OF COLLEGE PRODUCTS
Did you order a micro-fridge or futon from College Products last year? If so, the company will be on campus to pick-up your items after move-out. Please do not move the items. Please clean out and unplug the micro-fridge and leave items in your room.
FUTONS AND CARPET
Please leave your unwanted carpet and futons in your room; they will be disposed of at a later date.
UNABLE TO RETURN TO CAMPUS AND MOVE OUT?
Third Party Packing and Move-Out
If unable to return to campus to pack up belongings, REHS has created a process to allow for students to designate a third-party to access their room in order to complete the move-out.
In order to allow for a third-party move-out we ask the student to complete the third-party authorization form which will collect contact information, outline a process for the move and cover how to gain roommate approval.
Once the form is completed, it is received by the student’s neighborhood Facilities team. An REHS Facilities team member will be in contact with the third-party designee to schedule an escorted move-out between March 24 and April 12. Facilities will follow student and roommate guidance that was shared in the form above to establish ownership of belongings. Facilities will also notify roommate of room entry, if they have not yet checked out.
Students are responsible for obtaining their own contract with a moving/storage company. Two Men and A Truck is an MSU approved vendor, but there are other local companies that can be contracted.