Getting To Know Our Staff


Resident Assistant

A resident assistant (RA) is a student staff member who lives in the residence hall and apartment communities and is assigned to a floor or wing. As a peer, an RA serves as a basic source of information and referral help and assists residents in adjusting to campus life. The overall responsibility of an RA is to provide leadership and support to individual residents, residence halls and apartment communities. 


Intercultural Aides (ICAs) and Multi-racial Unity Living Experience Leaders

Intercultural aides (ICAs) and Multi-racial Unity Living Experience (M-RULE) leaders work in residence halls to unite students across differences to develop genuine relationships, build community and promote academic success. They implement and support a range of learning opportunities throughout the neighborhoods with the vision of creating a campus climate where globally integrated intercultural engagement is valued and practiced on a daily basis.


Residence Education Staff

A community director (CD), residence director (RD) or an assistant community director (ACD) has overall responsibility for their assigned residence hall(s). CDs and RDs are full-time staff members and ACD are graduate student staff members. The CDs, RDs and ACDs work to establish a supportive and positive learning environment in the hall and provide leadership for the staff. They are responsible for the supervision of all residence hall and apartment staff and the enforcement of regulations and policies. Residents should feel free to talk to them about any personal or school problems as well as ideas or suggestions to improve the residence hall or apartment community. Neighborhood administrative coordinators and community support staff also help facilitate students' stay in the residence halls and apartment communities.


Neighborhood Administrative Coordinator 

The neighborhood administrative coordinator (NAC) works within the residence hall(s) to manage the service centers and the logistical operations of the building. They oversee keys, mail, card-swipe access and other assorted operational tasks.


Community Support Staff

A community support staff (CSS) works within the residence hall(s) to manage administrative tasks for the community. The CSS also manage information distribution and help residents, campus partners and guests find answers to questions.


Housing Assignments Office

The Housing Assignments Office (HAO) is responsible for distributing and processing housing applications for students living on campus. The office maintains housing waiting lists, oversees and coordinates the current residents' contract renewal process, and coordinates new room and hall changes, billing procedures and written communications with students who have questions or concerns regarding on-campus housing. HAO is located at 1855 Place and can be reached by email at or by phone at 517-884-5483.


Facilities Staff

The facilities staff consists of full-time building services and maintenance personnel assigned to each residence hall and apartment community. The building services personnel are responsible for normal cleaning duties in public common areas, public restrooms and community-style bathrooms on the living wings. Residents are responsible for cleaning their own room and bathrooms in suite style halls. The maintenance staff is responsible for making repairs in the residence halls and apartment communities. Work orders to request building services or maintenance work can be submitted to the service center inside each residence hall or by using the online maintenance request form. Residents should contact an REHS staff member in their building in the event of an emergency or safety situation.



Have Questions? 
We have answers

Contact Us

Need Police Assistance?

Non-Emergency Line: (517) 355-2221 | Emergency: Call 911 | Visit the MSU Police Website