New students who live in Akers and Hubbard halls will be included in the Spartan Compass program – an environment for first-year students that encourages inclusive community building and helps foster a successful transition into the Spartan community!
The emphasis on connectivity and support within the first-year student community will help you adapt to life at MSU and the unique transitions each new college student faces. Our goal is to encourage the building of strong relationships, help you find your niche on campus and guide you toward discovering your identity as a member of our diverse Spartan family.
The Spartan Compass program will be introduced in fall 2019 as a three-year pilot program designed for students not already involved in a living-learning community program.
- Events tailored to the first-year experience
- Resident Assistants (RAs) focused on floor engagement and individual support
- Community Resident Assistants (CRAs) who foster resident connections and create community-wide events
- Increased opportunities to become involved with student organizations
- Opportunities to engage across difference and build community
- Academic coaching to support students in learning the skills they need to be successful
- Spartan connections and MSU traditions throughout the year
Another key feature is an optional first-year seminar course for those living in Akers or Hubbard halls. During this UGS 110 course, you will explore a variety of campus resources while gaining the tools and confidence needed to be successful for your entire college career. There are two sections available in fall semester for this course. The 307 section is offered Thursdays from 2:40 - 4:00 p.m. in Hubbard Hall. The 308 section is offered Fridays from 10:20 - 11:40 a.m. in Hubbard Hall. Both sessions are eleven weeks in total. The UGS 110 course is a great opportunity to learn more about MSU and how to navigate your life as a Spartan. When you attend NSO this summer, talk to an advisor to see if this course is right for you and could work in your schedule. You can also search UGS 110 in the Schedule of Courses.
We’re looking forward to seeing you on campus to begin your Spartan journey soon!
Your first year at MSU only happens once. Make it memorable. Take advantage of the Spartan Compass program.