Resident Assistant

Resident Assistant Positions --  Our application for the 2018-19 is closed

Over 340 Resident Assistants work within our 27 residence halls and apartment communities to provide a positive on-campus living experience for the 15,000 students who call our campus home each year.  We invite Spartans who want to leave a mark and make a difference on campus to join our legacy by applying to be a Resident Assistant!

The Resident Assistant is a live‑in student team member in the Residence Education and Housing Services.  The Resident Assistant assists in supporting the academic community in a residential community and has specific responsibility for connecting with students in a particular area. Resident Assistants work to establish inclusive communities that foster student success. The primary strategies for fostering student success include supporting students’ academic achievement, serving in an on call/emergency response capacity, and actively engaging with their communities through the Residential Learning Model.

The RA is responsible for assisting students individually and in groups. The RA's primary role is to facilitate the creation of a positive environment which supports students' academic and personal success. In order for these environments to develop, RAs must make significant connections with their residents, help residents get to know each other, and connect residents to the resources and opportunities of the larger university. Strategies for success include maintaining individual and group contact, a thorough knowledge of campus resources, building rapport and connections with residents, planning and implementing activities, and responding to community and individual concerns. 

Most RA positions are located in traditional residence halls for the academic year.  There are a small number of RA positions that are located in Owen/Van Hoosen Halls, 1855 Place (which includes University Village) that have slightly different requirements/conditions. 

Resident Assistant Requirements and Eligiblity  

Resident Assistant Position Description 



Have Questions? 
We have answers

Contact Us

Need Police Assistance?

Non-Emergency Line: (517) 355-2221 | Emergency: Call 911 | Visit the MSU Police Website