The Residence Education and Housing Services and Culinary Services teams have been hard at work this summer to prepare for your arrival this fall!
This year, fall move in is going to look a little different than previous years. So, as we prepare for your arrival to campus I want to walk you through the changes that we have madeto provide a safe and smooth move-in process for you and your guests.
Because of restrictions due to COVID-19, we ask that you bring no more than two people to assist you in moving into your new space.
Fall 2020 Move-In
In an effort to keep the process running smoothly and keep everyone safe, move-in times will be scheduled and limited across buildings on August 30 and August 31. This will allow for easier physical distancing and reduce possible congestion. MSU requires face coverings be worn by all parties, indoors and outdoors, while on campus property.
Before you arrive on campus, you should have received an email containing a date and a time to arrive for move in. It is very important that you stick to your scheduled time, so that we can provide the most physical distance between MSU staff, you, and other residents.
Step-by-Step Move-In Process
- When you arrive to your residence hall, you will be checked in at your vehicle. Please have a government-issued picture ID with you. Only the student will be able to check into their housing assignment. Face coverings are required for everyone.
- At the check-in station you’ll receive your keys, welcome kit from MSU, your complimentary meal pass for boxed lunches, and new students will get your Spartan ID card if you submitted your photo on time. (Returning students use the same one every year!)
- Follow signs to the unloading zone. You will have 20 minutes to unload your belongings. Green moving carts will be available and will be sanitized between uses. You are responsible for unloading your items.
- After unloading your vehicle, someone in your party will move it to a designated parking lot.
- Items you shipped before August 19 should be waiting in your room, or later items will be at the package center.
- Recycling and landfills items will be collected outside as part of MSU's Pack Up. Pitch In. program. Green carts will also need to be brought outside when you are done with them.
- We invite students and their guests to grab a bite to eat after they’ve moved in. Food trucks will be available in each neighborhood. Dining halls are open, but they have reduced capacity, so we encourage guests to take advantage of the complimentary boxed lunches.
Staff will be assisting with traffic control and check-in, but due to safety guidelines, we will not have staff and volunteers unloading vehicles this year.
We suggest packing just enough for the time you’re here on campus this fall semester, and using items like reusable tubs to help you pack and transport your belongings more efficiently.
While move-in looks different than previous years, we are here to safely welcome you to campus and as always feel free to ask questions to anyone with an RHS name tag. Please continue to check our MSU email for potential updates to the move-in process. See you soon, Spartans!