Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Residence Education and Housing Services (REHS) is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, inclusive and safe environment for Spartans living in our on-campus residential housing community. We work through the values of diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice to build communities that encourage personal growth, relationship building and academic success.
We work to ensure Spartans have a positive experience while living on campus, both in our residence halls and apartments. This is your home during your time at MSU, and it should feel as close to home as possible. Our caucuses, resident assistants and intercultural aides offer support and education to help students thrive in building vibrant and engaging communities within and outside the residence halls and apartment communities.
We promote understanding and maintain a supportive and positive living environment through various programmatic initiatives that enhance personal and cultural awareness. We welcome you to connect and talk to us about your experiences and any ideas you have in creating an affirming and inclusive living environment for our Live On community. You can reach Associate Director for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Sharon Chia Claros, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Residential & Hospitality Services value of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: As individuals and collectively, we are committed to a mindset of inclusive and equitable practices. We will work toward creating an environment free of harm based on a person’s identity.
As part of our university's commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice, we are asking MSU students, faculty, staff and community members to join us in signing the following pledge.
I will work to make sure HATE HAS NO HOME HERE at MSU. I pledge to do my part in creating and sustaining a welcoming and inclusive environment at MSU. I pledge to not commit acts of hate. I pledge to be an active bystander and to prevent and address incidents of hate and bias.
Michigan State University is engaging in a feasibility study for a campus multicultural center. Learn more at mcccenter.msu.edu
Residence Education and Housing Services works to ensure all residents feel safe, secure and welcomed to the Michigan State University community. Incidents are taken very seriously.
REHS partners with various university offices, student groups, and academic and student affairs units and departments.
- MSU Center for Survivors
- MSU Office for Inclusion & Intercultural Initiatives
- MSU Counseling and Psychiatric Services
- MSU Office of Institutional Equity
- MSU LBGT Resource Center
- MSU Office of Cultural & Academic Transitions
- MSU Office for International Students and Scholars
- MSU Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct Policy
- MSU Our Commitment
- MSU Safe Place
- MSU Prevention, Outreach & Education
- MSU Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities
- Racial & Ethnic Studies Programs:
We believe in maintaining a positive, supportive living environment in the residence halls and apartments. At MSU, You Have A Home Here regardless of your background or social identities. Check out the many affinity groups supported on campus.
The Council of Racial and Ethnic Students (CORES) is comprised of four cultural communities and student organizations.
- North American Indigenous Student Organization (NAISO)
- Asian Pacific American Student Organization (APASO)
- Black Student Alliance (BSA)
- Culturas de las Razas Unidas (CRU)
Get involved within your residence hall!
- Residence Halls Association (RHA)
- Hall government
- Multi-racial Unity Living Experience and Intercultural Aide Program (MRULE-ICA)
- More than 900 registered student organizations
The Council of Progressive Students (COPS) is represented by nine student organizations.
- Arab Cultural Society (ACS)
- Campus Interfaith Council (CIC)
- Council of Students with Disabilities (CSD)
- International Students Association (ISA)
- Jewish Student Union (JSU)
- Student Veterans of America
- The Alliance of Queer and Ally Students
- Women’s Council
- Muslim Students’ Association (MSA)