The Graduate Assistant (GA) for Residential Learning Programs is a half-time assistantship within REHS, reporting to the Associate Director for Residence Education. This position has primary responsibility in contributing to the development and success of the Spartan Navigator (second year) and Spartan Compass (first year) residential programs. The GA will have responsibility for partner communication, program implementation, and program evaluation. The GA will also be responsible for benchmarking, reviewing relevant research, and identifying intersections for learning outcomes and specific student population needs. The GA for D&I will provide support in facilitating focus groups, analyzing data, training staff, creating summaries/reports of current and previous data, and other administrative functions as assigned.
Residence Education and Housing Services team members are committed to providing exceptional and equitable community experiences, one connection at a time. Our values being 1.) Exceptionality: We will work collaboratively within our diverse community to go above and beyond through open and honest communication, continuous learning, and innovation. 2.) Equity: We will embrace diversity and practice a culture of inclusion and advocacy, so that every Spartan is appreciated and valued. 3.) Community: We will engage Spartans in safe, inclusive, and responsible living and learning environments that encourage personal and academic success. 4.) Connection: We will provide services, recognition, and care to every Spartan, every time.
- The Graduate Assistant for Residential Learning Programs will assist in coordinating aspects of departmental residential learning program initiatives Spartan Compass and Spartan Navigator. This includes leadership with projects/initiatives, such as:
- Career Services Pilot Program
- Faculty Fellows/Faculty Connections Initiative
- MSU Dialogues for Spartan Navigator
- Wellness initiatives (TBA)
- Support initiatives for underrepresented/minoritized students
- Spartan Traditions initiatives
- Collaborate and communicate with staff, units, and programs that intersect with the Spartan Navigator and Spartan Compass programs
- Assist with program evaluation and assessment including data collection, data entry and analysis, synthesizing information, report writing, and presentation of results to a variety of stakeholders
- Assist with preparing presentations and reports related to the Spartan Navigator and Spartan Compass programs
- Conduct benchmarking and monitor research trends applicable to residential learning programs for first and second-year students
- Attend and participate in REHS training, meetings, and committees.
- Weekly 1:1 Meetings with Assistantship Supervisor
- Weekly or Bi-weekly (frequency still to be determined) Spartan Compass Core team meetings and Spartan Navigator Implementation team meetings
- Residential Learning Model Work Team Meetings
- Occasional Hall or Neighborhood Staff meetings in East and River Trail
- Other responsibilities may include the planning and execution of special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ability to write on a scholarly level and the basic knowledge of qualitative research methods and analysis are necessary for this position. In addition to this, the person must be able to present in front of varied audiences. The ideal candidate would possess knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Ability to interact with a diverse population, good written and verbal communication skills. Familiarity with higher education industry norms is beneficial.
The Graduate Assistant for Residential Communities reports to and is supervised by the Associate Director of Residence Education. Contact is expected on a regular and frequent basis, including weekly one-on-one meetings. Written reports may be expected concerning specific situations.
Mildly disagreeable working conditions involve working in an environment with limited privacy and potential for a low level of excessive noise. The Graduate Assistant for Diversity and Inclusion may be expected to work evening and weekend hours on a limited basis.