Graduate Assistant for Outreach
The Outreach Graduate Assistant (GA) is a part-time position that assists the Assistant Director of Outreach with a variety of functions for Residence Education and Housing Services (REHS) in reaching the goal of being an inclusive and world-class entity. The GA is primarily responsible for serving as an ambassador for the Department and University as a whole. This will be accomplished through tour development, training, presentations, international outreach, outreach within academic departments, student organizations, and campus partners, high schools, parents (through social media) and communities primarily within the Michigan region. This is a half –time graduate assistantship position which requires 20 hours a week and will include weekend and evening hours. This is a 9 month position with the possibility of full time summer employment. Summer employment is based upon available funding and positive performance during the academic year.
Residence Education and Housing Services team members are committed to continually creating the world’s premier residential experience at Michigan State University. Our organization is one of learning and development, accountability, stewardship, and communication. We value the following principles: 1) student learning, engagement, and development through the neighborhood model, 2) intercultural learning and inclusion; 3) restorative justice principles, and 4) sustainable practices. They understand and appreciate the fact that they are the primary custodians of the REHS brand and work in a culture of accountability to ensure that the brand is strengthened through daily actions.
- The Outreach Graduate Assistant will assist with recruitment, developing training, assessment, and coordination of all aspects of the Tour Guide Program for REHS & Michigan State University
- Daily supervision of tour guide staff: direct daily supervision for eight undergraduate student tour supervisors, and indirect supervision of 80-100 student tour guides.
- Management of scheduling and student labor budget for the department, including weekly schedule development and release, troubleshooting concerns, and reviewing/submitting corrections to payroll
- Assist with development and delivery of presentations and reports related to Outreach.
- Engagement and Diversity
- Assist with formulating strategic partnerships/collaboration between REHS, academics, staff and, students at Michigan State University
- Assist in identifying new opportunities for expansion/growth of the REHS message to previously untapped/underserved markets
- Research trends applicable to assist department in the transition from “good” to “world class”
- Attend and participate in REHS training, meetings, and committees
- Maintain inventory, plan and deliver events, supervise Outreach student employees
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: The ability to use Microsoft Office Suite are required. This person must also have the ability to interact with a diverse population, excellent written and verbal communication skills, detail oriented, flexible and open to change. Desired abilities include the ability to use Access, Photoshop, social media, and design software.
Conditions of Employment:
- A resume and cover letter are required as part of the application process.
- Appointment is contingent upon a completed BA/BS and acceptance into a degree-granting graduate program at Michigan State University.
- The assistantship is intended to increase the GA’s knowledge and skills of best practices in Student Affairs assessment, and knowledge and expertise in using assessment tools.
- Preference will be given to candidates with strong organizational, administrative, leadership, and training skills.
- Must enroll for a minimum of six credits and may carry a maximum of 1 credits per semester (fall and spring).
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average must be maintained during the period of employment.
- Responsible for fees and tuition associated with their graduate program, beyond the nine credit tuition waiver.
• Proposed alternative language: The Graduate Assistant for Outreach has a joint report to the Outreach Coordinator and the Assistant Director of Outreach. Contact is expected on a regular and frequent basis, including weekly one-on-one meetings. Written reports may be expected concerning specific situations. Decisions involving delegated areas should be communicated to the Assistant Director of Outreach (or designee), and are often made in consultation with him or her.
- Mildly disagreeable working conditions involve working in an environment with limited privacy and potential for a low level of excessive noise. The GA may be expected to work evening and weekend hours on a limited basis.
- Nine-month stipend, paid bi-weekly
- Qualification for in-state tuition rates NOTE: Please check with your Graduate Program college to see if there is an additional fee added in to the MSU base tuition rate. These additional fees are not included in the Graduate Assistantship tuition waiver.
- Matriculation fee waiver
- Single-person health insurance paid for by the University
- Financial support for conference attendance, departmental involvement opportunities and training may also be available upon request.
For more information about fees, please see this website: http://www.ctlr.msu.edu/COStudentAccounts/Tuition_Fees_MainMenu.aspx
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer.