Graduate Assistant for Spartan Village Apartments
This position’s primary responsibility is to support and assist residents of Spartan Village and carrying forward the mission and goals of Residence Education and Housing Services (REHS) in that community. This position is responsible for assisting with community needs, neighbor or apartment conflicts, resident emergencies, some facilities concerns, and serving as the on-call contact for residents with needs when the business office is closed. Depending on the needs/priorities of the department, other duties may also be assigned.
This is a half-time graduate assistantship position which requires approximately 20 hours per week. This is a 9-month position, with the possibility of summer employment. Summer employment is based upon available funding and positive performance during the academic year. REHS team members are committed to the following principles: 1) student learning, engagement, and development through the neighborhood model, 2) intercultural learning and inclusion; 3) restorative justice principles, and 4) sustainable practices. They understand and appreciate the fact that they are the primary custodians of the REHS brand and work in a culture of accountability to ensure that the brand is strengthened through daily actions.
- Serve in an on-call rotation with one other staff to respond to facility, resident, and community concerns when the apartment office is closed.
- Assist residents with roommate or interpersonal conflicts when necessary.
- Respond to level-one facilities issues when facilities staff are not working and engage supervisors and trades for bigger facility needs.
- Monitor the community environment and address noise and cleanliness concerns
- Respond and engage other emergency personnel in safety or emergency concerns; document any occurrences appropriately.
- Regularly communicate with the Community Director and Facilities Supervisor about community needs and performance.
- Assist with advising and support of apartment student government.
- Assist with resident check-outs
- Attend and participate in REHS trainings, meetings, and committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Admitted to a graduate degree program at Michigan State University prior to appointment
- Preferred: previous on-campus housing leadership experience (residence halls, campus apartments, etc.)
- Skills in the areas of: critical thinking, conflict management, interpersonal communication, good written and verbal communication, and can be detail oriented.
- Ability to interact with a diverse population with cultural competence
- Available to work a full academic year (August through May)
- Preferred: employment experience in a student housing environment
Conditions of Employment:
- A resume and cover letter are required as part of the application process.
- Appointment is contingent upon a completed BA/BS and acceptance into a degree-granting graduate program at Michigan State University.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a year of relevant experience and strong organizational, administrative, and leadership skills.
- Must enroll for a minimum of six credits and may carry a maximum of twelve credits per semester (fall and spring).
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average must be maintained during the period of employment.
- Responsible for fees and tuition associated with their graduate program, beyond the nine credit tuition waiver.
The Graduate Assistant for Spartan Village reports to and is supervised by the Community Director of the Apartments. Contact is expected on a regular and frequent basis, including regular one-on-one meetings. Written reports may be expected concerning specific situations.
Mildly disagreeable working conditions involve working in an environment with limited privacy and potential for a low level of excessive noise. The job involves night and weekend work on a regular basis and staff must frequently respond to situations at any time of the day and night. The job requires moderate physical effort when responding to calls.
- A furnished apartment in Spartan Village
- Nine-month stipend, paid bi-weekly
- Qualification for in-state tuition rates
- Matriculation fee waiver
- Single-person health insurance paid for by the University
- Financial support for conference attendance, departmental involvement opportunities and training may also be available upon request.
- Nine credits of tuition are waived for each semester (Fall and Spring) at the MSU base graduate tuition rate.