RA Application Requirements and Conditions of Eligibility
2017-18 Applicant Eligibility Requirements
- Must have at least a 2.75* cumulative MSU grade point average as of the end of Fall 2016.
- Must have earned at least 12 credits as of the end of Fall 2016.
- Must have lived in an MSU residence hall or apartment by the end of Fall 2016.
Residence Education and Housing Services staff will verify the above requirements at the end of Fall Semester 2016.
Candidates will receive an email on January 4, 2017 to let them know if they are eligible and will be instructed to sign up for an interview time on the weekend of January 28 and 29. If you do not get an email on or before January 4, 2017, email rehsHR@rhs.msu.edu by January 5, 2017.
Most RA positions are located in traditional residence halls for the acadmic year. There are a small number of RA positions that are located in Owen/Van Hoosen Halls, University Village, and 1855 Place that have special requirements/differences as follows:
Owen/Van Hoosen: Staff must be a student with at least 56 credit hours and/or Junior status by the time they are appointed. They receive a room in Owen and a meal plan. Staff in Owen typically stay employed for about a week after MSU finals week. *MSU Law students have a lower GPA requirement of 2.20.
University Village: Staff live in UV with 3 roommates; have a private bedroom with shared bathroom. They receive a meal plan.
1855 Place: This area includes family housing and some single-student housing . Staff must have a flexible schedule to include some daytime hours. They will receive a one-bedroom apartment and meal plan in that area.
RA Process Requirements
- Candidates must submit a resume along with their application. Candidates will not be able to submit an application without first uploading their resume. Eligible candidates must be able to attend the Selection Weekend, which will be held January 28-29, 2017. Each candidate will be asked to sign up for an interview time over that weekend.
- Candidates are asked to hold the both dates; there are limited number of time slots to sign up for.
- Candidates offered a position will be required to participate in the RA Seminar Course. These sessions will begin the week of March 20, 2017 and will take place once a week for six weeks. There will be a variety of sessions available to accommodate varying schedules.
- Candidates offered a position must be available to attend all of Fall Training, which is August 13 - 25, 2017.
Conditions of Eligibility
- Resident Assistants are expected to maintain a 2.75* throughout the appointment period. (*2.20 for Law Students)
- Resident Assistants must pass a background check prior to beginning the position.
- Resident Assistants are expected to attend all training sessions and workshops before halls open both in August and January (and in May for 1855 Place and University Village RAs).
- All Resident Assistants MUST be a full-time student, enrolled in at least 12 credits (if undergrade) and be making progress toward a degree at MSU throughout their appointment period. Graduate students must be full-time students as well (9 credits); however credit limit exceptions may be made for post-doc staff.
- Resident Assistants may NOT student teach or hold internships during their first semester of their appointment. After the first semester, experiences which will take the staff away from his/her building for significant time blocks are discouraged, and must be approved by the Community Director and Assistant Director in their neighborhood before they are accepted.
- Resident Assistants who will not be on campus for the entire academic year (and summer if a 12-month position) will not be considered.
NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Residents with J-2 visa need special authorization (i.e., work permit) from Immigration to be eligible for employment. If you do not have an F1 or J Visa, please contact the Office of International Students to ensure that this position would not jeopardize your status. International students are authorized to work 20 per week on campus.
- Brody Neighborhood
- North Neighborhood
- East Neighborhood
- River Trail Neighborhood
- South Neighborhood
- Campus Life
- International Students
- Parents and Families
- Social Responsibility