Graduate Assistant for Wonderbodies
Wonderbodies is a fitness facility located within Wonders Hall. This facility is open to all on-campus residents and features a variety of workout equipment. The Graduate Assistant (GA) for Wonderbodies is a half-time graduate assistantship which oversees the operation of the facility. Duties would include supervision of student staff, promotion of the facility, membership sales and management of cash handling procedures. The GA could work in conjunction with IM Sports in order to offer a high quality gym experience. The GA would be responsible for staffing the facility. This assistantship will allow real world experience in the full operations of a gym.
Expertise in working in and/or managing a gym; enrollment in an academic department which specializes in sports management or Kinesiology and experience hiring competent skilled workers.
- Oversee the operation of Wonderbodies
- Promote memberships and sales
- Hire, train, and supervise approximately 20 student staff and 2 student supervisors
- Complete administrative tasks associated with the position
- Plan special events to promote gym membership and educate students about health and wellness
- Collaborate with hall staff, gym staff, and external partners to create a safe, inclusive fitness facility environment
- Coordinate and promote group exercise and fitness courses
- Oversee payroll and business operations
- Manage cash handling procedures
- Facilitate recurring staff meetings
The Graduate Assistant for Wonderbodies reports to and is supervised by the Community Director of Wonders Hall. Contact is expected on a regular and frequent basis including weekly one-on-one meetings. Written reports may be expected as necessary.
Mildly disagreeable working conditions involve working in an environment with limited privacy and potential for a low level of excessive noise. The Graduate Assistant for Wonderbodies may be expected to work evening and weekend hours. This position involves some physical requirements including being able to occasionally lift items over 20 pounds.
- Nine-month stipend, paid bi-weekly
- Matriculation fee waiver
- Single-person health insurance paid for by the University
- Financial support for conference attendance, departmental involvement opportunities and training may also be available upon request
- Qualification for in-state tuition rates at the MSU base rate (please check with your graduate program for additional fees charged up and above the tuition rate)