Spartan Green Items to Bring to the Residence Halls
As you decide what to bring with you to campus, please consider this list of "green" appliances and electronics.
Computers and Printers
- Look for Energy Star® labels on computers, printers and other electronic office equipment.
- Consider bringing a laptop or tablet, which consume much less energy than desktop computers.
- Opt for a 15” size; an Energy Star® computer monitor is large enough to view easily and does not use as much energy as a desktop computer.
- Consider leaving a printer at home; purchase MSU e-tokens online to print at MSU.
- Purchase an Energy Star®-qualified LED TV, which uses less energy than standard units.
- Buy small — they use less energy and take up less space.
- Consider buying an Energy Star ®-combo unit: Alarm clock / CD player / iPod dock.
Refrigerators and More
- Purchase an Energy Star® refrigerator five cubic feet or less.
- Consider these brands:
- Black & Decker
- You can pre-order Energy Star®-rated microfridges, futons and personal safes from collegeproducts.com/spartans.
- Buy a Smart Power Strip to save electricity used by appliances.
- Use Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) or LED instead of conventional light bulbs in your lamps.
- Bring green plants to liven up your space and clean the air around you.
- Use reusable water bottles, plates, cups and silverware instead of disposable paper/plastic ones.
- Use biodegradable detergents (brands like Seventh Generation, ECOS, etc.).
Remember, many items are available for check-out from the Service Center, including:
- Brooms and dustpans
- Basic tool kits
Use the mesh recycling bag provided in your room to recycle the following in your residence hall lobby:
- All plastics and household metals
- White paper
- Mixed paper and boxboard
Instead of purchasing bottled water, use the Spartan water bottle provided in your room at move-in and refill it at your residence hall’s filtered water station.
For more information on energy efficient products, visit www.energystar.gov.
- Brody Neighborhood
- North Neighborhood
- East Neighborhood
- River Trail Neighborhood
- South Neighborhood
- Campus Life
- International Students
- Parents and Families
- Social Responsibility