Accessible: Halls designed for barrier-free access; public areas and individual student rooms accessible to wheelchair users. Most halls offer limited accessibility. Snyder, Phillips, Wilson, Case and Holmes are barrier free for wheelchair users. Additional amenities include telestrobe alarms, amplified headsets for phones and door signalers. Please visit Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities (RCPD) for further information.

Alcohol-Free: Residents agree that neither they nor their guests will possess or consume alcoholic beverages nor will they possess empty alcoholic beverage containers in their rooms. Residents who violate the agreement are required to move to other halls. Floors five, six and seven of South Hubbard Hall are alcohol-free. Residents of any room in any hall can mutually agree to declare their rooms alcohol-free. Michigan State University complies with all state laws concerning the consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors.   

Check-In: The process before Move-In in which students receive their room keys. Check-In usually happens at the residence hall’s front desk or at a lobby table, or the University Apartments Leasing Office for those in University Apartments.

Check-Out: The process after Move-Out in which students turn in their room keys and any other forms or information. Check-Out usually happens at the residence hall’s front desk or at a lobby table, and at the Service Center for those in University Apartments.

Coed: Buildings are coed (female and male in the same building) except for Yakeley Hall, which is all female. Male and female students are housed in separate rooms and suites. Coed floor: male and female live on the same floor in alternating suites.

Community Bathroom: A large bathroom shared by an all-male or all-female floor, which is cleaned daily by hall facilities staff and includes showers, baths and other restroom facilities. Students living in residence halls with community bathrooms often bring flip flops to wear in the showers, as well as a shower caddy to carry bath necessities and toiletries from their room to the bathroom.

Flexible Housing: A housing option that allows students to select roommates without regard to gender. Flexible housing is an option that primarily aims to benefit students who wish to live with family members; students who have disabilities that may require them to live with a caretaker; or students who simply feel more comfortable living in a mixed gender environment.

Living-Learning Communities: Living-Learning Communities give students who are interested in the same general area of study or share a common interest the opportunity to live together.

Move-In: The physical process of moving into the residence halls/apartments on campus.

Move-Out: The physical process of moving out of the residence halls/apartments on campus.

Non-Traditional/Apartment Housing: Housing options for transfer students, graduate students, international students, married students and students with families.

Quiet Housing: All residents have the right to sleep and study in their rooms, free from the noise of others. On quiet floors, the minimum quiet times are from 8 p.m. to 10 a.m., and floors have the ability to expand these hours. There are individual quiet floors and entire quiet buildings as listed.

RoomSync: RoomSync is a Facebook application that helps residents find roommates. 

Suite-Style: Two rooms with a connecting, shared bathroom. Rooms in Akers Hall have a unique style that features two-bedroom suites with a separate living/study area and a bathroom shared only by suite occupants.

Transitional Housing: A temporary assignment of three people to two-person room, four people to a three-person room, or five people to a four-person room. Resolving transitional housing is a top priority for Residence Education and Housing staff.