What if my student has a concern with his/her roommate?

Encourage your student to talk with her or his roommate. Many concerns can be solved through communication. If she or he has done this and did not have a satisfactory outcome, encourage her or him to speak to their Resident Assistant (RA). The RA has received significant training in communication, mediation and conflict management, and will work to build open communication and ultimately a mutually agreed upon set of standards in the room for all roommates to follow.